2019 Four-week Confucius Institute Scholarship Summer Program in China
The Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) offers “Four-Week Summer Program” scholarships to non-native Chinese speaking college students worldwide to study Chinese language and culture in China.
Program date: July1~26, 2019
Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT), Beijing
Program Duration: four weeks
1) Chinese and Chinese culture classes
2) Field trips, visits to local cultural attractions
- Scholarship covers tuition, accommodation (double room on university campus) and comprehensive medical insurance
- Participants are responsible for international travel, learning materials, meals and admission tickets to cultural sites in China
1) Age: 16-35 years old
2) HSK result (any level)
3) Do not have any experience of studying in China before
- Register for HSK test at www.chinesetest.cn (if you do not have a HSK result) before Feb. 14, an online HSK
Test will be organized on Feb.24, 2019 at the University of Washington Seattle Campus. Please contact your
Chinese instructor about the possibility of taking an online HSK test on your own campus.
- The online application for the scholarship program (http://cis.chinese.cn) will be open from March 1 to April
- Hanban will complete the scholarship review process two months prior to the program start date.
- CIWA will notify you about your application result through emails in about one month after you submit your
application. If your application is successful, you will need to confirm your acceptance and make a Check
Confucius Institute of the State of Washington
Payment of $80 as the participation fee (non-refundable) to “Alliance for Education/CIWA”.
- Apply for a valid visa to travel to China and make travel arrangement.
- Completed online application form
- A scanned copy of your passport (photo page)
- If you are under the age of 18, you need to find a Chinese resident or citizen as your guardian and provide notarized document for the guardianship.
- HSK result of no longer than two years (any level)
- A recommendation letter from CIWA (we will provide reference in the online application system after you’ve submitted your application)
For information or questions, please contact Jing Yu, Confucius Institute of the State of Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Hanban: email@example.com
More Information about Host Universities
Beijing University of Technology: http://english.bit.edu.cn/
UW in Beijing
Location: Beijing, China
Program Terms: Summer Quarter
Program Duration: 8 Weeks
Credits: 15 UW credits
Prerequisites: Minimum GPA 2.5 No prerequisite for 1st year Chinese. Prerequisite for 2nd year Chinese: 1st year Chinese (CHIN 103) or equivalent.
UW in Beijing is collaborative initiative between the Department of Asian Languages & Literature and the Confucius Institute of the State of Washington. Approved by UW Study Abroad Office, the program is also supported by scholarships from the UW Global Business Center and Study Abroad Office. It aims to provide UW students with high quality, rigorous and intensive Chinese language training over a period of eight weeks in the summer quarter. With various curricular and extra-curricular activities, the program will develop students’ Chinese language and literacy skills through language and cultural immersion. Students will take group classes in the morning and individual tutoring sessions in the afternoons. In addition to intensive language classes, students will also have culture classes on Chinese martial arts, ping pong, calligraphy and tea ceremony twice a week. Special field- trips to places of significance, including the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, Zhongguan Cun entrepreneurs’ street, China Science and Technology Museum, Chaoyang Theatre, will be also arranged throughout the stay in Beijing to help participants develop a true appreciation of traditional Chinese culture as well as gaining insights into the current fast transforming China.
Chinese Bridge China Study Trip
Location: Chengdu, China
Program Terms: Early Fall
Program Duration: 3 Weeks
Credits: 5 UW credits
Prerequisite: Applicants must be matriculated UW students who are currently enrolled in a modern Chinese language class or have recently taken First-Year Chinese or higher. Students must also be U.S. citizens or U.S. legal permanent residents.
The Chinese Bridge Study Trip is a Chinese language and culture immersion program co-sponsored by Confucius Institute of the State of Washington at UW and the Department of Asian Languages and Literature. It is designed to give UW students a direct and deep exposure to Chinese language and culture through classes and visits to local historical and cultural heritage sites. The program is ideal for students who have recently taken modern Chinese language classes at the UW. Students will engage in a diverse range of activities during their stay in China, including interactive language classes, Chinese culture classes (calligraphy, ink and wash painting, tea ceremony, martial arts), cultural exchanges (activities with Chinese students), and visits to places of local historical and cultural heritages in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province in southwest China, where our program host, Sichuan University is located. Sichuan University is also a long-time UW partner in China. Participation will be limited to 20 students, accompanied by a UW faculty member.
Confucius Institute Scholarship Summer Program in China
Location: Beijing, China
Program Terms: Summer Quarter (July 2-27,2018)
1) Age between 16-35;
2) Having a valid Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) certificate (any level);
3) Having no experience of studying in China.
Host University: Beijing University of Technology, Beijing, China
The Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) offers scholarship opportunities to non-native Chinese speaking college-level students worldwide to study Chinese language and culture in China during summer for four weeks. CIWA organizes this program for all students from its partner institutions of higher education in the State of Washington.
During the four-week of study, students will take Chinese and Chinese culture classes and alsoField trips, visits to local cultural attractions.
More Information about Host University:
Beijing University of Technology: https://english.bit.edu.cn/
Chinese Bridge Summer Camp
The Confucius Institute of the State of Washington (CIWA) offered the Chinese Bridge Summer Camp for American high school students for five years in a row. It is not being offered in 2017, but check back for future years.
This two-week program is structured to enhance understanding between American and Chinese high school students. Through a combination of classroom study and excursions, students have a unique opportunity to expand their language skills while experiencing China’s rich culture, tradition, and history.
To view a video from the 2015 summer trip, please follow this link.