Call for Proposals
The Confucius Institute of the State of Washington
The Confucius Institute of the State of Washington (CIWA) was established to promote Chinese language and culture and support research that facilitates understanding of China. We are able to provide funding to support research-related activities & events on and off campus in the following areas:
- Proposals for programs & events that improve understanding of Chinese language & culture and involve China studies (lectures, films, workshops, conferences and instructional components).
- Proposals that involve the global circulation of Chinese culture, China’s global presence or impact and attract audiences across campus and the community.
- Projects that connect China specialists to non-‐specialists in relevant areas across campus.
*We highly encourage proposals with matching funds, or those that are likely to generate 50% matching funds.
Application period for 2016-17 academic year
Since The Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) and the UW operate on different fiscal calendars, we have slightly revised the application process for 2016/17 and beyond to make the application process easier. If you plan to apply for funding of events through CIWA for 2016 Fall, Winter and Spring and Summer quarters, please apply and submit your proposal by the end of 2015. CIWA submits annual budget application to Hanban in March and we usually receive the final approval notices in May.
A budget proposal usually include the following information (an application form can be downloaded from CIWA website):
- Name, title, department and email contact information of the applicant, approximate date and location of the event
- Name and description and objectives of the event
- Targeted audience and expected number of audiences
- Funds requested and what will the funds be used for
- Indication of likely matching funds for co-sponsors
Preliminary proposals for projects should be submitted to Aihua Liao, Assistant Director of CIWA at firstname.lastname@example.org . Deadline for final proposals is December 15 of each calendar year for events taking place in the following academic year.
CIWA also assists the students and researchers of UW and other partner institutions of higher education to apply for the Confucius China Studies Program.