OneWorld Now! Summer Mandarin Chinese Teaching Intern for 2018 Summer Language and Leadership Camp
OneWorld Now! is an after-school language and global leadership program for racially and economically
diverse youth in the Seattle area. We seek an energetic, organized, and dedicated individual to join our
Mandarin Chinese teaching team as a Mandarin Chinese Teaching Intern for our summer camp.
Whether you are a native, heritage, or second-language-speaker of Mandarin Chinese, this is a chance to
share the language and culture you love with high school students and learn from a team of experienced
teachers in a highly rewarding environment. You will begin by assisting our professional Mandarin
Chinese teacher in the classroom, then transition to teaching some lessons of your own.
- Please fill out the application form here: OWN Application
- email a resume and cover letter to Sarah Standish, Academic Program Manager, at email@example.com, with “Mandarin Chinese Teaching Intern” in the subject line.
Position will remain open until filled and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Preference will be given to candidates who apply by April 15, 2018.
Program Dates: July 9 – July 27, 2018 (Monday-Friday)
— plus pre-camp meetings TBD
Time: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- Native, heritage, or second-language proficiency in Mandarin Chinese (intermediate-high or above)
- Professional working proficiency in English and strong written English skills
- Interest in learning about best practices in language pedagogy
- Interest in supporting the growth of young people of color, youth from immigrant families, and youth from low income backgrounds
- Adaptability, flexibility, and openness to feedback, learning, and growth
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work legally in the United States without organizational sponsorship
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing education as a career path, whether in a foreign language or another field
- Experience working with high school students in the United States, whether as a teacher or in another capacity such as tutoring, coaching, mentoring, or similar activities
- Experience working with racially and economically diverse individuals and communities, including working class, immigrants and refugees, communities of color, and LGBTQ populations
- Assist in the Mandarin Chinese language classroom at our summer camp, including by performing role-plays, working with struggling students, facilitating small-group work, and helping students stay on-task
- Working with the Mandarin Chinese teacher to create lesson plans and teaching materials in accordance with STARTALK best practices and submit them daily to the Academic Program Manager
- Support the Mandarin Chinese teacher and students during field trips and lunch times, including serving lunch and assisting with cleanup and setup
- Teach some lessons, with support from the Mandarin Chinese teacher
- Support the camp and students in other ways as needed
$1600 stipend. Lunch included daily during camp. Must be authorized to work in the United States; OneWorld Now! does not sponsor visa applications or petitions.
OneWorld Now! is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about the summer program, visit the link here: OWN Summer Language Camp