Summer Chinese Supplemental Activities Leader
OneWorld Now! is an after-school language and global leadership program for racially and economically diverse youth in the Seattle area. We seek an energetic, organized, and dedicated individual to join our Chinese teaching team as a Chinese supplemental culture teacher for our summer camp. Whether you are a native, heritage, or second-language speaker of Chinese, this is a chance to share the language and culture you love with high school students and learn from a team of experienced teachers in a highly rewarding environment. As a Chinese supplemental activities leader, you will plan and teach afternoon cultural activities related to Chinese culture to summer camp students who are enrolled in an intensive Mandarin Chinese course in the morning.
- Please fill out the application form here: OWN Application
- Email a resume and cover letter to Sarah Standish, Academic Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Chinese supplemental activity leader” in the subject line.
Position will remain open until filled and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis.
- Native, heritage, or second-language proficiency in Chinese (intermediate-high or above)
- Professional working proficiency in English
- Knowledge of Chinese culture
- Interest in supporting the growth of young people of color, youth from immigrant families, and youth from low-income backgrounds
- Adaptability, flexibility, and openness to feedback, learning, and growth
- Ability to work legally in the United States without organizational sponsorship
- A commitment to lead cultural activities to beginners using Chinese at least 90% of the time
- Experience teaching a language or leading cultural activities, whether in Chinese, English, or another language
- Experience working with high school students in the United States, whether as a teacher or in another capacity, such as tutoring, coaching, mentoring, or similar activities
- Experience working with racially and economically diverse individuals and communities, including working class, immigrants and refugees, communities of color, and LGBTQ populations
- Plan and lead two 90-min afternoon cultural activities per week during the last three weeks of July for high school students who are enrolled in an intensive Chinese course in the morning (sample activities from previous years include cooking dumplings, calligraphy, tea ceremonies, bubble tea, Lunar New Year, but can be adapted or changed based on the skills and interests of the activity leader).
- Interact successfully with students who are almost complete beginners in the language and whose level is Novice Low – Novice Mid using Chinese at least 90% of the time
- Coordinate with the Lead Chinese Instructor so that culture activities enhance the content taught in the morning intensive course
- Create a fun and comfortable environment for students to learn about Chinese and Chinese culture
- two 90 minute culture activities per week during the last three weeks of July
- Likely 1:30 – 3 PM on 07/11, 07/13, 07/17, 07/20, 07/23, 07/25 plus possible pre-camp meetings TBD
- $25-30/hour DOE. Activities paid at 1.5 hours/activity, plus one hour activity planning.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States; OneWorld Now! does not sponsor visa applications or petitions
- OneWorld Now! is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information about the summer program, visit the link here: OWN Summer Language Camp