UW STARTALK Teacher Program
July 9 - July 20
Preparing Language Teachers for the 21st Century
Date: July 9th – July 20th, 2018
— June 25th: begin 15 hours of coursework
Time: 9 AM – 3 PM
Location: University of Washington, Denny Hall (Language Learning Center) (Spokane Ln, Seattle, WA 98105)
Registration Fee: $45 (There are no additional fees and all materials are provided) – APPLY HERE
The STARTALK Teacher Program, “Preparing Language Teachers for the 21st Century,” will prepare 10 native (or near native) speakers of Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, or Russian to teach in a standards and content-based program, focused on developing communicative proficiency and accuracy in students learning these languages. Teachers will be able to work toward obtaining a P-12 World Language Endorsement for teaching these languages in Washington K-12 public schools. The program is designed to teach them the STARTALK principles and standards-based language teaching and curriculum development, as well as the content knowledge needed to pass the Washington Educator Skills Test – Endorsement (WEST-E) for World Languages. The program also provides scholarship assistance to complete the required assessments (WEST-E and ACTFL OPIc and WPT).
This Teacher Program has a special focus on integrating STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) into language instruction to prepare teachers to work effectively with today’s students. In 2018, the program will offer six UW credits of EDC&I 495 from the University of Washington College of Education.
- 10 native (or near native) speakers of Chinese, Korean, or Russian
- 15 hours of pre-program online component starts on June 25th
- 10-day Intensive program for teachers, 6 hours a day, including 3 modules (total of 75 combined online and classroom hours)
- One week of lesson planning and micro-teaching
- 6 credits for EDC&I 495 from the UW College of Education
- Standards and content-based program, focused on developing communicative proficiency and accuracy in heritage speakers of these languages
- Emphasis on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
- Content knowledge to pass the Washington Educator Skills Test – Endorsement (WEST-E) WL
- Scholarship assistance for required assessments (WEST-E and ACTFL OPIc and WPT)
Program Director: Angelina McMillan-Major
Teacher Program Lead Instructor: Dr. Bridget Yaden
For more information, visit the link here: UW STARTALK Teacher Program
This event is posted as a courtesy to the event sponsors. It is not sponsored by the Confucius Institute of the State of Washington.