- This event has passed.
CLTA-WA 2017 Summer Workshop
August 26, 2017 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
CLTA-WA invites you to join us for our 2017 Summer Workshop:
Standards-Based Assessment Integration in the Mandarin Classroom
Date: Saturday, August 26, 2017
Time: 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Venue: Kirkland Library (308 Kirkland Ave, Kirkland, WA 98033)
Cost: Free, all are welcome!
Presenter: Jeremy Smith, Middle School Mandarin Teacher at the Westside School
Appropriate Levels: K-16 The workshop will be conducted in Mandarin Chinese and English. In this workshop, we will look at methods and techniques for designing and integrating standard-based assessments into novice through advanced level curricula. This workshop will provide hands-on, guided experience in how to:
1) backwards design your curriculum using authentic, standards based assessments
2) how to introduce the concept of standards-based assessment into your classroom by developing student ownership in your curriculum.
This workshop will be a three-hour working session. By the end of the workshop, participants will leave having designed their own model instructional unit with corresponding standards-based formative and summative assessments. Participants will be asked to build their model curriculum and assessments per ACTFL designated proficiency standards. It is recommended that you bring your laptop, as all the discussion and design will facilitated digitally. In the second half of the workshop, participants will be given the chance to share their unit and assessments during the follow up discussion and review sections.
Visit this link to register. Deadline: August 23, 2017
• 3 clock hours will be awarded for participants who attend the whole afternoon event in the entirety. No partial clock hour will be awarded.
• Participants are asked to bring laptops.
• Annual membership due: $30.00. Membership period: July 1 2017 – June 30 2018. You may sign up for membership or renew if your membership is up for renewal at the workshop site, please bring your checkbook. We encourage you to consider joining as life member for $300.00
12:45 – 1:00 Sign in
1:00 – 3:45 Workshop
3:45 – 4:00 Evaluation and Wrap up
CLTA-WA extends our sincere appreciation to the co-sponsors of this event:
CLTA, USA for providing funding support
Washington Association for Language Teaching (WAFLT) for providing Clock hours