Chinese Reading with Level Chinese
August 18 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Date: August 18, 2017
Time: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM with complimentary lunch
Location: Beacon Hill International School (2025 14th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144)
Cost: FREE plus up to 6 free clock hours from WAFLT for teachers who attend the full day
As part of our CIWA Chinese Literacy Project, Confucius Institute is pleased to invite Chinese teachers in the area to join us for workshops on Chinese Reading with Pauline Shuen from Level Chinese. Pauline will be working with several Seattle Schools Mandarin teachers who have been piloting Level Chinese this spring and summer, primarily with Mandarin Dual Language Immersion students grades 2-8.
You’ll have a chance to see Level Chinese in action as well as masterytrack, the software that allows you to track an entire classroom’s reading progress. Topics will include:
– Introduction to the CIWA Literacy Project and where Level Chinese fits in by Dr. Michele Anciaux Aoki, Director of the CIWA Education Center
– Introduction to Level Chinese and its features by Pauline Shuen
– Sharing of teachers’ experience to date with Level Chinese in Seattle, including the Beacon Hill Summer Chinese Reading Club
– Using masterytrack to see how the students in the Summer Program are doing
– How to use the Specific Leveled Objectives in Level Chinese effectively
– Getting started with Level Chinese for new teachers
– A closer look at the data and how we can plan for continuing to develop students’ literacy skills in Chinese in the coming year
Sponsored by Confucius Institute of the State of Washington, Seattle Public Schools, and Washington Association for Language Teaching (WAFLT).