CIWA’s Five-Year Vision for Chinese Expansion in Washington
CIWA’s 5-Year Vision aims to expand Chinese language capacity across the State of Washington and to promote meaningful opportunities for students to learn Chinese language any time, any place.
- Increase the pipeline of students entering higher education and the workforce with demonstrated Chinese language proficiency
- Increase the number of schools and colleges (PK-16) offering Chinese programs
- Increase the number of business employers and employees with demonstrated Chinese language proficiency
- Strengthen exchange & collaboration, including academic exchanges among the four CIWA partner organizations.
- Expand the partnerships between CIWA and all institutions of higher education in the State of Washington, and sustain programmatic collaboration
- Request more qualified Chinese teachers from Hanban to help launch or expand Chinese programs in partner institutions
- Support the UW College of Education and other Teacher Colleges to develop and expand Chinese teacher preparation programs to produce a sufficient number of local Chinese teachers to meet the expanding demands of K-12 programs
- Support the development and access to online Chinese language programs
- Maximize the use of a variety of effective assessments of Mandarin, including the HSK and YCT, to help students reach their proficiency goals in the language
- Increase the number of students who have earned the State Seal of Biliteracy for Mandarin
- Increase the number of students graduating from high schools and colleges in our state with demonstrated proficiency at the Advanced level or higher in Mandarin
- Pursue appropriate funding sources to support joint collaboration among the four CIWA partners.
This document was reviewed and approved by the CIWA Board of Directors on February 6, 2015.